Related Supports

Housing Instability

If you find yourself facing housing instability or housing loss, Housing Help may be able to support you with advice, advocacy, counselling, paralegal services, and facilitating access to shelters.

Or visit HelpSeeker.


If you are in crisis and need a place to stay urgently, try one of these Ottawa resources.

For family shelter, call 3-1-1.

Single person shelters for women:

Cornerstone (for adult women)
172 O’Connor Street, Ottawa, K2P 1T5

Shepherds of Good Hope (for adult women)
233 Murray Street, Ottawa, K1N 5M9

St. Mary’s Home (for young women)
659 Church Street, Ottawa, K1K 1K8

Youth Services Bureau (for young women)
433 Nelson Street, Ottawa, K1N 7S6

Single person shelters for men:

Salvation Army Booth Centre (for adult men)
171 George Street, Ottawa, K1N 5W5

Shepherds of Good Hope (for adult men)
233 Murray Street, Ottawa, K1N 5M9

Ottawa Mission (for adult men)
35 Waller Street, Ottawa, K1N 7G4

Youth Services Bureau (for young men)
433 Cooper St, Ottawa, K2P 0H1

Gender-Based Violence / Violence Against Women

If you are fleeing domestic violence and need immediate help or a safe place to stay, the following places in Ottawa serve women, children, and sometimes pets.

Places to Stay:

  • Maison d’amitié: 613-747-9136
  • Interval House of Ottawa: 613-234-5181
  • Harmony House: 613-233-3386
  • Chrysalis House: 613-591-5901
  • La Présence: 613-241-8297
  • Nelson House: 613-225-3129
  • Minwaashin Lodge (Oshki Kizis Lodge): 613-789-1141

Income & Employment Assistance

Social assistance in Ontario is delivered through the Ontario Works program – call 3-1-1 to inquire.

To be eligible to receive help from Ontario Works, you must:

If you need income support because you are living with a disability, contact the Ontario Disability Support Program toll-free at 1-888-789-4199 and toll-free via TTY at 1-800-387-5559.

If you have lost your job through no fault of your own, you may qualify for Employment Insurance, a federal support program that also offers sickness benefits, maternity & parental benefits, caregiving benefits, and more. You can call their 24/7 information line toll-free at 1-800-206-7218 and toll-free via TTY at 1-800-529-3742.

If you are a newcomer to Canada (immigrant or refugee) looking for help to find work, try the World Skills Employment Centre: call 613-233-0453 or visit Suite 300 at 219 Argyle Avenue, Ottawa, K2P 2H4.

If you need the advice or services of a lawyer for a housing-related problem, one of the following resources might be able to help.

Language Services

If you need the help of a translator or interpreter during your search for housing, one of the following organizations may be able to support you.

Immigrant Women Services Ottawa
Suite 400, 219 Argyle Avenue, Ottawa, K2P 2H4

Somali Centre for Family Services
1719 Bank Street, Ottawa, K1V 7Z4

Catholic Centre for Immigrants
204 Boteler Street, Ottawa, K1N 5A7

Health & Community Services

If you need care or support related to your health (physical and mental) and wellbeing, you may find the help you need through one the following organizations. Some offer programs and services to particular neighbourhoods around Ottawa, some cater to particular cultural communities.

Support Services:

Centertown Community Health Centre
420 Cooper Street, Ottawa, K2P 2N6

Lowertown Community Resource / Centre de ressources communautaires de la Basse-Ville
40 Cobourg Street, Ottawa, K1N 8Z6

Carlington Community Health Centre
900 Merivale Road, Ottawa, K1Z 5Z8

Family Services A La Famille Ottawa
312 Parkdale Avenue, Ottawa, K1Y 4X5

Eastern Ottawa Resource Centre
Suite 215 – 1980 Ogilvie Road, Gloucester, K1J 9L3

Minwaashin Lodge
2323 St. Laurent Boulevard, Ottawa, K1G 4J8

Nepean Rideau Osgoode Community Resource Centre
1547 Merivale Road, Nepean, K2G 4V3

Somali Center for Family Services
1719 Bank Street, Ottawa, K1V 7Z4

Somerset West Community Health Centre
55 Eccles Street, Ottawa, K1R 6S3

Pinecrest-Queensway Community Health Centre
1365 Richmond Road, Ottawa, K2B 6R7

South-East Ottawa Community Health Centre
Suite 600 – 1355 Bank Street, Ottawa, K1H 8K7

Vanier Community Service Centre
270 Marier Avenue, Vanier, K1L 7H8

Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre
2 MacNeil Court, Kanata, K2L 4H7

Tungasuvvingat Inuit (TI)
604 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, K1R 6K9

Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health
299 Montréal Road, Vanier, K1L 7G1

Ottawa Carleton Immigrant Services Organization
1800 Bank Street, Ottawa, K1V 0W3

Jewish Family Services of Ottawa
2255 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, K2B 7Z5

Sandy Hill Community Health Centre
221 Nelson Street, Ottawa, K1N 1C7

Military Family Resource Centre – National Capital Region
330 Croil Private (Uplands Military Community Centre), Gloucester, K1V 1J1


Supports for Refugees and Immigrants

If you are a newcomer to Canada (immigrant or refugee) who needs support getting settled or with housing, contact one of the following organizations.

Support Organizations:

Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organization (OCISO)
959 Wellington Street West, Ottawa, K1Y 2X5

Matthew House
340 Legget Drive – Door 53, Ottawa, K2K 1Y6

Ottawa Chinese Community Service Centre
Suite 2000 – 400 Cooper Street, Ottawa, K2P 2H8

Jewish Family Services
Suite 300 – 2255 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, K2B 7Z5

Somali Center for Family Services
1719 Bank Street, Ottawa, K1V 7Z4

Catholic Centre for Immigrants
219 Argyle Avenue, Ottawa, K2P 2H4

Immigrant Women Services Ottawa
Suite 400 – 219 Argyle Avenue, Ottawa, K2P 2H4

PAND Settlement Services Ottawa
121 Insmill Crescent, Ottawa, K2T 1G6

Suite 201 – 150 Isabella Street, Ottawa, K1S 1V7

Tax Preparation Support

If you have a modest income and a simple tax situation, you may be eligible for free help with your tax returns through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program hosted by local community organizations. Find more information and a list of clinics Tax Preparation Clinics here.